Holidays for Heroes is Back
Upton collecting greeting cards at his two district offices until December 2
U.S. Rep. Fred Upton, R-St. Joseph, invites residents of the Sixth Congressional District to share the spirit of the season – as well as holidays year-round such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day – with cards to our active duty military personnel, veterans, and their families.
“I want to encourage everyone to take a few minutes to make a card or write a note to let our brave men and women in uniform, veterans, and their families know that we care, we appreciate their service, and wish them well during the holiday season and throughout the year,” said Upton. “It’s a simple gesture that can end up meaning so much to someone who may be away from their loved ones.”
Area residents, schools, and community organizations are encouraged to take part in writing cards of appreciation. Cards may be dropped off at either of his constituent service offices in Kalamazoo or St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. Upton’s offices will accept cards dropped off until 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, and will deliver them to a local Red Cross office.
Red Cross officials ask senders to keep in mind these guidelines:
· Include a heartfelt message, but sign only your first name; do NOT include phone numbers or email addresses.
· Use generic titles such as “Dear Service Member, Veteran, or Military Family Member” when writing the cards.
· Please refrain from using glitter or other pasted on objects on the cards as those may aggravate health issues.
· Please do NOT enclose additional items such as gift cards, photos, or other gifts as they will be removed.
· Envelopes are unnecessary for the cards.
For more information on the Holidays for Heroes program, please click here.
Upton’s constituent service offices are located at:
Kalamazoo District Office
350 E. Michigan Ave., Ste. 130
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
St. Joseph/Benton Harbor District Office
720 Main St.
St. Joseph, MI 49085